After the changes to mandatory mask requirements in BC public places, we asked the industry to tell us what their mask policy will be moving forward.
There was no overwhelming stance, however the “at the request of clients” option was the most popular position.
Check out the results below:
The survey was completed by 182 participants over three days. While the survey was anonymous, we did capture some comments which we’ve organized for you.
At the request of clients (35% of responses)
- I believe we have to be sensitive to clients’ needs for a short time. Then I will go to no masks. So excited to be done with them. I hope it sticks.
- Stylists continue to wear a mask while washing hair and when I’m close proximity, face-to-face
- Up to each individual stylist as well as client.
- Small home based salon, all clients are triple vaxed, as well as myself. I will mask as per their comfort level for the time being
- Both staff and clients have full choice as to what they want to do
- Staff can wear masks too if they want. It’s a personal choice
- Letting people choose what is right for them.
- I work alone with one client at a time. I’m boosted and most of my clients are.
Masks on all clients and staff all the time (25% of responses)
- We’re going to wait and see how the numbers are affected after the changes. We’re working closely with our clients, it’s not the same as running into the grocery store and briefly being around people. I don’t need to be part of the “let’s see what happens if we lift the mask mandate” experiment. If the numbers continue to decline then we’ll revisit our policy.
- Masks/vaccine still required for staff and clients. Will revisit masks when the COVID action plan can be taken down.
When COVID number is a zero, we will be safe enough to abolish our COVID protocols; all still in place to protect our clients who may be compromised.
- We will move slowly and loosen mask protocol for clients as we emerge to summer. Personally though I will continue to wear a mask until I am confident COVID no longer exists
- The closeness and time spend with client is the reason for masks required…also as a stylist to prevent any illness so there is no question of health while working .
- Going to take masks off April 8th. We are too busy to update workplace protocols to support a quick change.
We will be revisiting after the COVID Safety Plans are removed April 8
- Because as an industry, we work so closely with our clients, we have felt that it is important to still require ourselves and our clients to stay masked at all times while in the salon. Quite a few of our clients are older or have underlying health conditions so continuing to practice the maximum safety protocol at this point while people are still dying from COVID, seems to be prudent.
- We are keeping masking in place for a transitional period as clients and staff adjust to restrictions being lifted. We want to make sure everyone is as comfortable as possible during a time that is inevitably going to be scary for some.
Until we see how things go, we did this in the summer too while the rules changed. It’s simpler this way for us.
Maybe come April 8th things will change, but not yet. Too fast.
No mask policy in place (24% of responses)
- I am still wearing my mask, when with clients
- Clients may obviously wear a mask
- The provincial mandate is over. No need for masking.
- The vulnerable should wear masks. Those with sensory/lung problems are struggling right now. Leave them alone. COVID is mutating to be easier on humans, so let it be a normal illness that’ll never go away. Live life already.
- I will let my clients decide ~ I will wear mine when I am working closely with a clients face (ie facials, facial waxing)
- Whoever wants to wear can wear, whoever doesn’t, no problem
- It happened so fast we haven’t had a chance to talk about it as a team
Masks on staff at all times (17% of responses)
- Masks are on while dealing closely with clients. At the chair and sink.
- I am a solo home based salon I feel better wearing a mask
- Masks are still optional for clients. But I have always worn mine during service.
- We ask that our clients are thoughtful of others comfort levels and masks are appreciated but not mandatory
- We have strongly recommended to clients that they still wear a mask but not mandatory. We are very accommodating to the mask and unmasked guests it just to ease into things as some clients are nervous all over again.
- We do cosmetic tattoos and lashes, all of our staff have always work masks when seeing clients, even before COVID.
- We have always worn masks while providing services, so just back to ‘normal’!
- Not as strict but will continue to wear a mask for a few more weeks see how comfortable our clients are
- Clients get to choose but all sanitation in place!
I will mention that it is strongly recommended to still wear masks but we will allow my clients the option. We will be wearing ours at all times.
- Since we are face to face during brow and lashes, I will have clients wear a mask.
If not, join today!