As we approach tax season, we understand that everyone has their own way of filing personal tax returns. Whether you prefer paper filing or electronic methods, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is here to ensure you receive any refunds, benefits, or credits you’re eligible for.
Key Dates and Deadlines
- April 30, 2024: Circle this date on your calendar! It’s the deadline for most Canadians to file their 2023 personal income tax and benefit return. Remember, as long as the CRA receives your return or it’s postmarked by this date, you’re on time.
- Payment Due Date: If you owe money to the CRA, make sure to pay by April 30, 2024, to avoid late fees and interest charges.
Receiving Your Income Tax Package
- Mailing Date: If you filed on paper last year, expect to receive the 2023 Income Tax Package by February 19, 2024.
- Package Contents: This package includes all the necessary forms and information. You can also view, download, or order it online at canada.ca/taxes-general-package or by calling 1-855-330-3305.
Changes to the 2023 Income Tax Package
- Slimmer Package: The CRA has streamlined the package, reducing it by about 20% to support sustainable development efforts. Line-by-line instructions are no longer included, as most paper filers use information from previous returns and the “What’s New” section.
- Online Resources: For detailed instructions and additional information, visit Canada.ca. The website has been optimized for a better user experience.
Alternative Support Options
- Community Volunteer Income Tax Program: If you need assistance, this program offers help to individuals with modest incomes and simple tax situations.
- SimpleFile by Phone: Eligible individuals will receive an invitation to use this automatic tax filing service. It’s a straightforward process using your phone’s keypad.
Considering Electronic Filing?
- NETFILE Service: Nearly 93% of tax returns were filed electronically in 2023. Electronic filing is faster, with processing times as short as two weeks, compared to up to eight weeks for paper returns.
- Auto-fill My Return: This CRA service automatically fills in parts of your return with information the CRA has on file.
- Express NOA: Get your notice of assessment right after filing when using NETFILE-certified tax software.
My Account and Digital Services
- My Account: Access a variety of digital services, including changing your return, submitting documents, and checking for uncashed cheques.
Need More Information?
- Ask Charlie the Chatbot: For quick answers, chat with Charlie on the CRA homepage or other web pages on Canada.ca.
Filing your taxes doesn’t have to be a hassle. With these tips and resources, you can navigate the process smoothly. Remember, the BeautyCouncil is here to support you every step of the way!
For more information and resources, visit the CRA website. Let’s make this tax season a stress-free experience for our BeautyCouncil members!