Certification and exams
Elevate your career today. Be a certified beauty professional with proven expertise.
You’ve completed your training, and it’s time to be recognized as the qualified beauty professional that you are.
Passing the BeautyCouncil Certificate of Qualification exam earns you the internationally recognized Certified Cosmetology Professional (CCP) designation. Demonstrate your expertise and the professional standard of your services to clients, employers and peers — and stand apart from the untrained workforce operating in our industry!
Questions? See the exam Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below.
Before you register for the exam
Become a BeautyCouncil member and get a $100 discount on your exam!
- Join BeautyCouncil as a member. You will not only realize the benefits of belonging to the association, but you will also save $100 (includes GST) on the exam itself. While this is not mandatory, we highly suggest it before you register for the exam.
Once you have registered for your exam
Download the exam requirements documentation and checklist
- Esthetics (PDF) – updated Jan 14, 2021
- Hairstyling (PDF) – updated Feb 10, 2021.
- Waxing (PDF)
- Nails (PDF)
Have your documentation ready
- For education requirements, this can be a diploma, certificate, or other proof of education.
- For experience requirements, this might include proof of hours worked.
- For indentification, one of these government issued documents: Driver’s License, Identity Card, Passport, or Birth Certificate.
Study in advance
- Many people who take the exams study before the exam to have the best chance of getting their certificate on the first try. Either refer to your textbooks and notes from your education or purchase the recommended textbooks from Milady at this link.
Esthetics, Hairdressing, Barbering, Nail Technician, and Waxing Technician.
You can register to challenge the BeautyCouncil Certificate of Qualification in Exam, provided you have completed the required school hours or work experience hours. Each exam is different – be sure to check the requirements of each exam for education and experience hours. See the next FAQ item to learn more about acceptable forms of documents.
Acceptable forms of proof are:
IF YOU ATTENDED A DESIGNATED (PTIB*) COSMETOLOGY SCHOOL IN BC:
• Diploma (no need to show hours).
• (If you are still in your program) Letter stating when you will be finishing your course of study.
• Exam application with school section filled out by school administrator.
IF YOU DID NOT ATTEND A DESIGNATED (PTIB*) COSMETOLOGY SCHOOL IN BC OR IF YOU WERE TRAINED OUTSIDE OF BC:
• School diploma (in English) with number of hours completed.
- We cannot accept diplomas with months, weeks, etc. – the diploma must list hours of study
- Sorry we cannot accept diplomas that are not in English unless translated by a licensed translator
- Letter from school (in English) on school letterhead, with the signature of the administrator or trainer detailing
the number of hours completed.
- We cannot accept letters that are not in English unless translated by a licensed translator or
IF YOU WISH TO SHOW APPRENTICESHIP HOURS:
- T4 slips to show how long the candidate was employed by a salon totaling the number of hours needed.
- A letter from the candidate’s employer detailing the number of hours per week the candidate works as well
as the length of employment.
- Letter must be on company letterhead with the signature of the employer
- If any candidate cannot show acceptable proof of training, he/she will not be eligible to take the exam.
*PTIB – formerly know as PCTIA
The first step is to go to our website page for certifications. Follow the instructions there.
Dates with openings will be on our website page for certifications. Sold out exam dates will not appear on that page.
Exam cost (price includes GST)
- $200 for BeautyCouncil Members
- $300 for non-members
Yes, you must sign up first as a member to process access to the registration pages. If you choose to not become a member, there is a $100 non-member additional fee per registrant.
- Esthetics: 4 hours 45 minutes
- Hairdressing: 7-8 hours
- Barbering: 4 hours
- Nail Technician: 4.5 hours
- Waxing Technician: 3 hours
The Theory exam: At the exam venue, you will take our multiple choice theory exam.
The Practical exam: At the exam venue, you will perform the practical exam and be graded by our examiner.
Many people who take the exams study before the exam to have the best chance of getting their Certificate on the first try. Either refer to your textbooks and notes from your education or purchase the recommended textbooks listed on the exam requirements documents.
You must bring the professional (not drug store) products and equipment to complete all exam services as per the list we provide upon registration. Products must be approved for sale in Canada (for example, they must have English and French on the label, including metric measurements, and be approved for use on clients). Professional products can be purchased at beauty suppliers such as West Coast Beauty, Modern Beauty, CosmoProf, Icon, and more.
Borrowing is prohibited.
No exceptions will be made for these requirements.
All details are included in our Exam Requirement document related to each specific exam. No exceptions will be made for these requirements.
Yes. Models must not be beauty school students, beauty professionals, or be working or have experience in the beauty industry. No exceptions will be made for the model requirements.
Registrants who do not pass the exam may apply to retake failed portion(s) of the exam (theory, practical, or both) within 2 years (no limit on the number of retakes). Retakes are $100 (includes GST). A pass requires a score of 70% or higher.
COVID-19 protocols are in place for all exams. All registrants, examiners, models, must wear a mask at all times. If during segments of the exam the model must remove the mask to perform the service, the registrant will be required to wear a face shield in addition to a mask. You and your model will be asked to answer COVID-19 screening questions. Persons presenting with symptoms or having had recent exposure to COVID-19 will be asked to leave the premises and rebook at a later date. You will be required to sanitize your hands upon entry.
Yes, according to the rules under the TILMA agreement, you may simply order a Certificate of Qualification for any trade in which you hold a valid Alberta (Canada) Red Seal certification. The cost is $200 and you may order by contacting us.