Alberta Premier Jason Kenney announces new restrictions amid COVID-19 surge.
Ordered to close are: Personal and wellness services – Effective at 11:59 pm on May 9, including: hair salons, barbers, nail salons, estheticians, tattoos and piercing. (Previously, these were allowed by appointment only).
Municipalities (list here) that have fewer than 50 cases per 100,000 people and/or fewer than 30 active cases will be required to return to Step 0 level restrictions, and include personal services.
To reinforce the importance of following public health orders and the consequences of not doing so, fines will double to $2,000 for Public Health Act violations. To do this, an Order in Council will amend the Procedures Regulation of the Provincial Offences Procedure Act to enable the increased fines to take effect as soon as possible.
Repeat offenders, whether individuals, organizations or businesses, who are repeatedly or continually violating public health orders will be targeted with a new enforcement protocol. The protocol is now in place and will be used to coordinate a multi-agency response to repeat offenders.
If one organization is unable to gain compliance, a coalition of enforcement partners will work with each other to respond as quickly as possible with the most effective measures to gain compliance in that situation. The protocol also outlines steps for ongoing monitoring, which will assist authorities with deciding how to escalate legal and regulatory consequences against offenders that refuse to comply with previous enforcement measures.
Partners in the provincial group include Alberta Health Services, Occupational Health and Safety, Alberta Prosecution Service and local police services. Alberta Gaming Liquor and Cannabis will also participate when cases involve licensees or activities under its jurisdiction.
See the announcement below.
As of May 4, the following municipalities have fewer than 50 cases per 100,000 people and/or fewer than 30 active cases will be required to return to Step 0 level restrictions:
- Clear Hills County
- I.d. No. 12 (Jasper National Park)
- I.d. No. 13 (Elk Island)
- I.d. No. 24 (Wood Buffalo)
- I.d. No. 25 (Willmore Wilderness)
- I.d. No. 349
- I.d. No. 4 (Waterton)
- Municipal District of Acadia No. 34
- Municipal District of Ranchland No. 66
- Saddle Hills County
- Kananaskis Improvement District
- Birch Hills County
- City of Lloydminster
- Special Areas No. 3
- Woodlands County
- Municipality of Jasper
- Starland County
- Municipal District of Opportunity No. 17
- County of Two Hills No. 21
- County of Northern Lights
- Thorhild County
- County of Newell
- County of Forty Mile No. 8
- County of Paintearth No. 18
- Municipal District of Spirit River No. 133
- Special Areas No. 4
- Municipal District of Provost No. 52
- Municipal District of Smoky River No. 130
- Special Areas No. 2
- Municipal District of Fairview No. 136
- Vulcan County
- Municipal District of Pincher Creek No. 9
- Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
- Municipality of Crowsnest Pass
- Lamont County
- County of Minburn No. 27
- Town of Drumheller
- Smoky Lake County
- Northern Sunrise County
- Lac Ste. Anne County
- Flagstaff County
- Municipal District of Bighorn No. 8